MISSION STATEMENT

Mission Statement..We will work to preserve and enhance our way of life through our homeowners association and provide information to the property owners to accomplish that goal.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Fishermen...any ideas?

I decided to catch a few Bluegills for a meal. The lake is just packed with them. I caught probably forty or so, throwing the vast majority back due to size. Something that became evident before long was a lot of the big ones have lesions on their sides, red roundish areas about the size of a dime. One had noticeable bumps on it's side rather than the red spots. Probably 25% of the large ones showed this. Is this prevalent around the lake and does anyone know the cause? During spawn I know stress causes a drop in their immunity to disease so possibly that is the case. Anyone that actually knows if this is a problem and if we should not be returning them to the lake please email the Pride and I will post it.

Quite a few years ago I remember we had somewhat the same problem with catfish. The same sort of spots but larger and only on the larger fish. The was some killoff as I recall and I believe it was called a fungus. There was no long term effect with that occurrence.

Thanks for any information. Ken Dillenburg