MISSION STATEMENT

Mission Statement..We will work to preserve and enhance our way of life through our homeowners association and provide information to the property owners to accomplish that goal.

Monday, December 19, 2011

The presence of presents



Christmas is the time of year we all think about gifts and the holiday season. This brought the thought to mind of the gift I remember most from my childhood. It happened it was not a Christmas gift, but a birthday gift as I recall.
As with most kids, I had been given gifts of toys, a BB gun that was my treasure, and assorted other normal fare. Times were tough for the family but they always managed to find enough resources to provide gifts for my sister and me. Most were quickly forgotten but one stuck with me to this day.
I came into the kitchen and Mom told me Grandma had brought over a gift for me. There, sitting on the table, was a small plant. Mom said Grandma had “started” the plant for me for my birthday. It had wide green leaves and for some reason I was taken with it and can picture it to this day. Why a ten year old kid thought so much of this gift I will never know but I did. I doubt I even took care of it but it was mine, and my Grandma, who had quite a “green thumb”, had started the plant from “a slip.” I assumed and still do that meant from some sort of cutting.
That proves to me it is not the gift that counts so much as the thought. I will probably always remember Grandma’s gift.
I know most people really dislike having things they write put up for scrutiny by readers. That being said, if any of you have any stories of special gifts you would like to share, please send them to the Pride email address. This is the season for sharing and all would love to hear your story. Think of it as just telling your story to a friend. Getting people to do this is like pulling teeth but please consider sharing your story.
Ken Dillenburg