MISSION STATEMENT

Mission Statement..We will work to preserve and enhance our way of life through our homeowners association and provide information to the property owners to accomplish that goal.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Forgive me for a sad day


Ten years ago today my Dad died at 4:10 a.m. For anyone who has yet to lose a parent I can tell you from personal experience they are never far from your memory. I think of Dad very often and am constantly reminded by even the little things like the containers of bolts and screws in our garage that still have his handwriting on them from when he meticulously wrote the contents for reference.

When he was taken to Swedes in Rockford after a lung collapsed I didn’t visit for a couple days because I was also sick and didn’t realize how bad off he was. When I arrived in his room he said to me “I think we’d better get the lawyer in here.” That was his way of saying he knew this would be the end without actually saying it in so many words. I told him everything was taken care of and not to worry. That was one of those times the reality of vulnerability really hits home.

I was there with family when he took his last long breath after suffering the ravages of emphysema for years. It was as if he was allowed one full breath finally at the end.

I will not dwell on this because he would not have wanted it that way. Suffice it to say he was a truly good, kind man and I am forever in his debt.

Ken Dillenburg